Friday, October 26, 2012

Share and SMASH!

One of the key ways to SMASH social stigma is to spread awareness. Lack of understanding of mental health issues is a driving force behind stigmas in mental health. People stigmatize things they don't understand.

One of the major missions behind Stigma Smash is to spread this awareness by creating a community of people dedicated to the cause of eradicating social stigmas and replacing them with more positive images. Stigma Smash is designed to be a collaborative effort and as such relies heavily on YOU! 

Today I encourage you to do your part and fight social stigmas in all forms by using this template:

I have..(mental illness).. but it is NOT who I am! I am...(who are you?). #stigmasmash

Please post this honest and personal testimonial on social media outlets that you use to show the world that people with mental health issues are regular people. It is my goal to see this trending in as many places as possible! If you are not comfortable yet posting publicly, please feel free to post your testimonial here on Stigma Smashers! Thank you and best wishes! 


3 comments:

  1. I have panic disorder, but it is NOT who I am! I am Aaron, a fun-loving, honest, hard-working guy from SC who loves art, travel, and the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Aaron,

    Most excellent. For sure, my friend, time to eradicate the unfair stigmas, the stereotypes, the labels that still surround mental health issues. Through further awareness, shall come, further understanding.

    Your condition, as we both know, is only a small part of who you are. Thanks for this and I shall help promote, as long as you are okay with it, all that you do, in an upcoming posting on my site.

    Have a peaceful weekend and maintain that positive focus.

    With respect, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gary,

    I look forward to seeing the promotion! Stigma Smash needs all the help that it can get to blast off.

    ReplyDelete